Friday, April 2, 2010

The Beat Frequency - April 2, 2010

Greetings! Welcome back to another installment of me rambling on about the music I like.

I found out that Regina Spektor had done a John Lennon cover and I had to hear it. And of course it was amazing.

We played some Tally Hall who I had seen a week before, and then some new Frightened Rabbit "Skip The Youth", which is very good, and has an intriguing intro. I was seeing Florence + The Machine the next Tuesday and played some "Hurricane Drunk," which I didn't like initially but now really enjoy. Daniel Zott's "Living A Lie" was on Chuck in early March.

Right about this time of early April, I was obsessed with Joanna Newsom's "Good Intentions Paving Company." It's an elegantly and intricately constructed song.

"How I said to you, 'honey, just open your heart', when I've got trouble even opening a honey jar"

That's just a half stanza. The whole song is full of excellence. Lyrics here.

Also Joanna Newsom is dating Andy Samberg of Saturday Night Live fame. So we played some music by The Lonely Island right afterward.

Fun fact: The song I played by Washington is called "Teenage Fury." For some reason, my computer switched the titles of that song and her song "Halloween."

More awesome Fanfarlo. Cyndi Lauper retro jam. Yello's "Oh Yeah" from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, better known as "Day Bow Bow". The video is so trippy.

Then some old favorites with "The Frug" and "Karma Police." :)

1Regina SpektorReal Love (John Lennon cover)
2Tally HallTaken For A Ride
3Frightened RabbitSkip The Youth
4Florence + The MachineHurricane Drunk
5Daniel ZottLiving A Lie
6Joanna NewsomGood Intentions Paving Company
7Lonely IslandOn A Boat
8Angus and Julia StoneBig Jet Plane
9WashingtonTeenage Fury

10The AntlersKettering
11FanfarloDrowning Men
12The ShinsPressed In A Book
13Cyndi Lauper She Bop
14YelloOh Yeah
15Cloud CultChain Reaction
16ParamoreThe Only Exception
17Rogue WavePermalight
18MuseMicro Cuts
19Rilo KileyThe Frug
20RadioheadKarma Police
21Black Diamond BoyBrothers In Exile

No comments: