Friday, March 26, 2010

The Beat Frequency - March 26, 2010

Hello again! Here's a recap of the songs of my life for this week.

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros' "40 Day Dream" is an incredible song. There's something about "bye bye, to the 'too good to be true' kind of love" being sung so jubilantly that makes my day.

A lot of these songs, well at least a couple, were nods to my road trip to Kenosha, WI with my dad over spring break. The Strokes' "Hard To Explain" and Cold War Kids' "Audience" were two that I had the pleasure of listening to on the radio. "Hard To Explain" was one I heard from http://www.rock889.com/ in Ohio and I wish I could give a shout out to that station in Ohio who played "Audience." I hadn't heard it before and it is a really good tune.

Oh, and my dad loves Bob Dylan. So when I needed to sleep and he needed some tunes, I basically put my Bob Dylan collection on my iPod on shuffle. I had no idea before, but my dad's favorite is "Subterranean Homesick Blues" so that was for him. I love roadtrips.

"Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" is a duet by Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty, two of my favorite singers of all-time, which I had recently rediscovered. "Baby you could never look me in the eye...."

Fanfarlo is quite good, and "Finish Line" is one of my favorite songs of theirs. I'm just going to link you to their lyrics page. It's that good.

Also, this was the evening where I was still trying to decide whether or not to attend the Jukebox The Ghost/Tally Hall concert at Sonar in Baltimore, after I missed the one the night before in DC. (I ended up going. It was a great decision.) Tally Hall closed the show and made the audience sit on the floor and turn to the back where they performed their encore with the light of living room lamps, closing with a cover of Biz Markie's "Just A Friend." Jukebox The Ghost played before them, and their song "Hold It In" was my favorite. Also, they did a cover of New Order's "Temptation" which was stellar. I love that song.

Also, I played "Soft As Chalk," which is my sister's favorite Joanna Newsom song off of Have One On Me.

Over spring break, SXSW was going on, and those torrents were stellar. Also over spring break, Alex Chilton died, and in his memory we played some Big Star, Box Tops, and "Alex Chilton" by The Replacements.

1Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros40 Day Dream
2StarsYour Ex-Lover Is Dead
3The StrokesHard To Explain
4Cold War KidsAudience
5Bob DylanSubterranean Homesick Blues
6Dirty ProjectorsDark Eyes (Bob Dylan cover)
7Stevie Nicks & Tom PettyStop Draggin' My Heart Around
8She & HimIn The Sun
9FanfarloFinish Line
10YeasayerO.N.E.
11Neon TreesAnimal
12Laura VeirsJuly Flame
13Jukebox The GhostHold It In
14The Magnetic FieldsNo One Will Ever Love You
15Fang IslandDaisy
16Biz MarkieJust A Friend
17Joanna NewsomSoft As Chalk
18Jonna LeeMy High
19Antennas UpDon't Wait Up
20Timothy Nelson and the InfidelsSpeak The Truth In Love
21The Paint MovementFaults
22Big StarSeptember Gurls
23Box TopsThe Letter
24The ReplacementsAlex Chilton

No comments: