Monday, March 22, 2010

The Beat Frequency - March 5, 2010

Hello readers! Another lovely post from your friend here at The Beat Frequency. Here's our playlist with explanations, if not vague ones, about why I played some of these songs on our radio show here at WMUC.

I was talking with a friend about staying hungry or ambitious, and "Hungry Like The Wolf" popped immediately into my mind. Also, this lovely Old Spice Commercial. No, not this one. (But it's good too.)

Also, another friend of mine requested "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" which is a ridiculous Beatles tune, along with "Strawberry Fields Forever."

We played The Kissaway Trail because they are opening for The Temper Trap and Florence + The Machine at their show that I'm seeing in April. (WHICH I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT)

The Tom Waits and Townes Van Zandes tunes were covered by Norah Jones on an album I owned a long time ago. I needed to hear the originals.

Bob Dylan is awesome. Enough said.

Bruce's "Dancing In The Dark" was related to the hungry theme. Lyrical quote: "They say you gotta stay hungry. Hey baby, I'm just about starving tonight."

"Debaser" is a great song. Shouting the lyrics makes my day.

The Blow's "Parentheses" goes out to my sister on her 20th birthday, which was later the next week, because she showed it to me and I love it.

Billy Joel's "Vienna" goes out to anyone who has ever been overwhelmed with trying too hard. "Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true." Kills me every time.

"Ambitions" by Donkeyboy was a special request from my good friend who now lives in Norway. It was a good song too.

Spoon's "Is Love Forever?" was part of Transference, the album of theirs that I was reviewing for the station (and finally finished.) The review is here at the WMUC music blog.

"Next Year" by the Foo Fighters was the theme song to the television show Ed (2000-2004), where I first started listening to music as an integral part of television. Unfortunately, due to outrageous royalties, Ed may never come out on DVD, which makes me terribly sad. Bowling alley lawyer? Come on, that's classic television. Also, it had the Mac guy in it, and Michael Ian Black. (If you don't know that I like cheesy television by now, you don't know me very well.)

"Abel" by The National was played for the line "my mind is not right" which I had the pleasure to see screamed by the lead singer back in August at the Virgin Free Fest in Columbia, MD.

Rogue Wave's "Good Morning" now has a special place in my brain after I heard it on the drive back from a roadtrip to Wisconsin at around 3am in North Eastern Ohio (on the radio! I know, I was excited too). The great folks at Ohio's Alternation played it, along with a few more tunes I'll share on the March 26th show. Anyway, I couldn't place the song until I got home, but it felt pretty cool to have played it earlier.

And we closed out with a remix of the remix of the cover of "You Got The Love." Yeah, try to wrap your head around that.

1Duran DuranHungry Like The Wolf
2Led ZeppelinMisty Mountain Hop
3The BeatlesYou Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
4The BeatlesStrawberry Fields Forever
5The Kissaway TrailBeat Your Heartbeat
6Thao NyguenTallymarks
7Tom WaitsThe Long Way Home
8Townes Van ZandtBe Here To Love Me
9Bob DylanDon't Think Twice, It's Alright
10Bob DylanIt Ain't Me
11Massive AttackDissolved Girl
12AirPlayground Love
13Bruce SpringsteenDancing In The Dark
14David BowieLife on Mars?
15Elliot SmithJealous Guy (John Lennon cover)
16PixiesDebaser
17The BlowParentheses
18Billy JoelVienna
19The ProclaimersOver and Done With
20Built To SpillDistopian Dream Girl
21CSSCannonball (The Breeders cover)
22DonkeyboyAmbitions
23SpoonIs Love Forever?
24Foo FightersNext Year
25of MontrealCato As A Pun
26Band of HorsesOur Swords
27The NationalAbel
28Rogue WaveGood Morning
29PortisheadSour Times
30Florence + The MachineYou Got The Love (The Very Best Remix)

No comments: