Friday, April 16, 2010

The Beat Frequency - April 16, 2010

I'm really bad at updating blogs.  It's kind of thing of mine to have a blog, write all the posts except the last few and just stop.  My new goal is to actually finish this one.

The night before this show I went out to a birthday party for Jenn from Wye Oak at the Golden West Cafe in Baltimore.  It was pretty cool.  Friend of the band Mickey Free performed along with a few other acts for the birthday girl.  The party was pretty fun, there was a giant moose head, beer, a guy with a tattoo of Talking Heads lyrics ("There's a city in my mind" if you were wondering), and decently good times.  I played the Mickey Free remix of "That I Do" by Wye Oak in honor of the event.

Darwin Deez's "Radar Detector" was a solid part of my playlist this time of year.  It's cute and bouncy. 

The Dirty Projectors' "Two Doves" was played with Nico's "These Days" because I had recently found out "Two Doves" contained a few lyrical references to "These Days", a classic Jackson Browne song I've known since I was very little.  (He wrote that song when he was in high school.  Deep stuff.  My mom's a big Jackson Browne fan.  We named our dog after him.)

Mates of State's cover of Girls' "Laura" was a really good one during this time of year too.  I like the cover way better.

Here's the entirety of the playlist.

1BostonMore Than A Feeling
2TotoAfrica
3The NationalStart A War
4Wye OakThat I Do (Mickey Free Remix)
5Local NativesSun Hands
6The ClashTrain In Vain
7Bob DylanYou're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
8DevoGirl U Want
9WilcoMuzzle of Bees
10WeezerEl Scorcho
11Talking HeadsRoad to Nowhere
12Elliott SmithMemory Lane
13Magnetic FieldsI'll Dream Alone
14Owen PallettLewis Takes Action
15Barenaked LadiesI'll Be That Girl
16Surfer BloodSwim
17Tokyo Police ClubBreakneck Speed
18The WombatsHere Comes The Anxiety
19The Magic NumberThe Pulse
20RadioheadNo Surprises
21The BlowTrue Affection
22Darwin DeezRadar Detector
23The NationalAfraid of Everyone
24Jens LekmanIf You Ever Need A Stranger
25Dirty ProjectorsTwo Doves
26NicoThese Days
27Eric ClaptonGot You On My Mind
28PrinceI Would Die 4 U
29Mumford & SonsCousins (Vampire Weekend cover)
30Mates of StateLaura (Girls cover)

No comments: