Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Beat Frequency - February 12, 2010

Hello, hello! Today was our first show back after the blizzard which canceled February 4th's show. Everyone in College Park was getting some serious cabin fever. We played some Leonard Nimoy (yes, that's Spock) and a few awesome songs my sister told me about (Gold Motel's "Perfect in my Mind" is fantastic.) Frightened Rabbit's "Nothing Like You" was also on the list. You can check out the video here.

Steve Perry's "Strung Out" was featured in a recent Psych episode and Datarock's "Amarillion" was played in Chuck. Why yes, if you've figured nothing out from any of these blog entries, I get a lot of my new music from television shows.

We also had a cabin fever section of the show featuring the Muppets, R.E.M. and Bon Jovi. My own personal snowed-in song was "Aside" by The Weakerthans. The line "and I'm losing all these stupid games that I swore I'd never play" was stuck in my head all week. TV on the Radio's cover of Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Modern Romance" was new to me and I really enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, and it was two days before Anna Howard Shaw Day so we played a few songs for all the lovers out there. Ok, so maybe they were just songs that mentioned love of various varieties. The Magnetic Fields' "The Book of Love" off of their 69 Love Songs and Bloc Party's "This Modern Love" are fairly old favorites for me, and added with the newer "Cosmic Love" from Florence + the Machine started off the bit, with the classic "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division and then the epic "Elephant Love Medley" from Moulin Rouge.

Oh, and then Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" because I was heading out to New Jersey after the show. I should've played "Atlantic City" but I like "Born to Run" better.

Playlist for February 12, 2010:

1Friday MileLives of Strangers
2EisleySilver Springs
3Gold MotelPerfect In My Mind
4Leonard NimoyHighly Illogical
5Patrick WatsonOverture
6Frightened RabbitNothing Like You
7Steve PerryStrung Out
8The WeakerthansAside
9DatarockAmarillion
10R.E.M. It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
11MuppetsCabin Fever
12Bon JoviLivin' on a Prayer
13SpoonWritten In Reverse
14Buddy HollyEveryday
15TV On The RadioModern Romance (Yeah Yeah Yeahs cover)
16Fleetwood MacGo Your Own Way
17PhoenixIf I Ever Feel Better
18Flight of the ConchordsI'm Not Crying
19John MayerLove Song For No One
20Elliott SmithClementine
21Death Cab for CutieI Was A Kaleidoscope
22The StrokesWhat Ever Happened?
23of MontrealGronlandic Edit
24Architecture in HelsinkiLike It or Not
25Loney, DearI Was Only Going Out
26Someone Still Loves You, Boris YeltsinModern Mystery
27The Magnetic FieldsThe Book of Love
28Bloc PartyThis Modern Love
29Florence + The MachineCosmic Love
30Joy DivisionLove Will Tear Us Apart
31Ewan McGregor and Nicole KidmanElephant Love Medley
32Bruce SpringsteenBorn To Run

No comments: