Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Beat Frequency - February 19, 2010

The Beat Frequency's BIRTHDAY EDITION.

haha, no, but it was my birthday on the 18th and we had a decent amount of celebratory music. Starting with "Birthday" by The Beatles.  Of course.  Kate Nash's "Skeleton Song" was also played because of the line "now I'm twenty-two." (which strangely, Kate Nash wasn't when I first heard her sing that song.)  Another birthday track was "Older" from They Might Be Giants, played a bit later.

A friend posted some lyrics to "Fool in the Rain" on Facebook and I remembered how much I love that song.  My dad loves Led Zeppelin, so we used to listen to a lot of them when I was younger.  Thanks family for liking good music. :)

Yeasayer's "Sunrise" was used in a rap track by Childish Gambino, also known as Don Glover of 30 Rock writing and Community fame (he plays Troy).  He's hysterical.  After listening to his rap over the track (which I'm fairly positive can't be played on the radio, pesky FCC) I fell in love with the Yeasayer original.

One of my favorite tracks which I had the chance to share this week was the mashup of The Killers' "Smile Like You Mean It" and La Roux's "Bulletproof" ("Smile Like You're Bullet Proof").  Great songs, great mashup.  Fanfarlo's "Harold T. Wilkens or How To Wait For A Very Long Time" is also an incredibly catchy new tune.


We also played  "Land Down Under" by Men At Work in remembrance of me being in Australia around this time last year, and also hearing it on the way to Cornerstone on my birthday.  Also, "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac made an appearance on my shuffle on my birthday and then made its way onto today's playlist. Enjoy.

Playlist for February 19, 2010

1The BeatlesBirthday
2Kings of LeonNotion
3Kate NashSkeleton Song
4Billy JoelPiano Man
5Led ZeppelinFool in the Rain
6YeasayerSunrise
7a-haTake On Me
8Cobra StarshipKiss My Sass
9CakeShort Skirt/Long Jacket
10The CribsMen's Needs (CSS Remix)
11AlphabeatWhat Is Happening?
12The DarknessI Believe In A Thing Called Love
13They Might Be GiantsOlder
14Sleigh BellsCrown on the Ground
15OasisThe Shock of the Lightning
16Cage The ElephantFree Love
17DevoWhip It
18The Killers vs. La RouxSmile Like You're Bulletproof
19Jefferson AirplaneSomebody to Love
20Fleet FoxesWhite Winter Hymnal
21Fleetwood MacTusk
22FanfarloHarold T. Wilkens or How To Wait For A Very Long Time
23Morning BendersExcuses
24Minus The BearThe Pig War
25Paul SimonYou Can Call Me Al
26LenkaWe Will Not Grow Old
27Men At WorkLand Down Under
28Field MusicThe Rest Is Noise

No comments: