Saturday, December 13, 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008

Top 10 Albums of 2008. Good stuff. The following are my opinion, feel free to try to influence them as you wish.


1. We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery

I know the first time I heard of We Are Scientists, it was through The Lonely Island. Yes, those lovely goofballs responsible for great things like "Lazy Sunday," and "Just 2 Guyz." If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it.

I found this video (http://old.thelonelyisland.com/afterhours.html), then immediately downloaded all of the album I could find, and fell in love. Luckily, working at the radio station got me the rest of their 2008 CD and it was phenomenal. Oh, and I saw them in concert. That was a riot. Anyway, here's to Brain Thrust Mastery and general We Are Scientists ridiculousness. http://www.wearescientists.com/

2. Mates of State - Re-Arrange Us

I love my sister. And she loves Mates of State. And so do I.

After playing this album and it's almost title track "The Re-Arranger" a billion times, I am hooked on Mates of State. This album brightens my days. My sister got me into Mates of State (I actually bought her this CD before I had ever listened to it) and I'm very glad she did.

Oh, and quote of the countdown:
"Love loud, don't lose loud."

Also, and just to show how awesome Mates of State are, they went on Yo Gabba Gabba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDie3wu3_8&feature=related

3. Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line

I heard "Ghost Under Rocks" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9SKprgjH5k) a few times and liked it before I was heavily recommended by Jon Hood to give them more of a listen. I was incredibly impressed. My favorite on the album is probably "Can You Tell," which you can check out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBryCQWEdFI

4. Tilly and the Wall - o

What got me into Tilly and the Wall was not a song from the album I'm about to give a number 4 slot to, but instead the wacky "Beat Control" which I found on the lovely internet. (See incredibly wacky video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVNycEoGtnQ)

Favorite track: "Pot Kettle Black" which makes my FCC monitored brain freak out, but is fantastic. Also, they put on a hell of a live show. Much dancing and balloons! And if you haven't figured this out after listening to a few of their songs, they have a tap dancer as a primary source of percussion.

Oh, and folks, it's so good you can get into car accidents listening/dancing to it! They should put that on the label.

5. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

I will admit, I have not heard all of this album. But I could not even care.

"The Twist" and "Keep Yourself Warm" are both poignant, real and incredibly skeezy, not to mention two of my new favorite songs. Don't listen to the latter if you have a problem with f words. All the rest of the tracks I've heard are also fantastic.

6. The Coast - Expatriate

My favorite Canadian indie band that no one has heard of comes in at number 6. I found these lovely gentlemen on the internet, reviewed their CD for WMUC, and saw them live at beginning of school with Tokyo Police Club.

Not only are they swell guys, but they make great music too.

Favorite song: Tightrope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNy1A2XGkrY)

7. Kings of Leon - Only By The Night

I knew Kings of Leon before this CD, and I had liked "Manhattan" which was the first song off this album that I heard. But thanks to a certain Erika Kallio, I listened to "Use Somebody" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZfJ5ai07U) which quickly became one of my favorite songs of the year. And that song made me go review/steal the CD from WMUC. (I'll give it back, I promise). Oh, and "Sex on Fire" is also amazing.

8. Alphabeat - This Is Alphabeat

"We are Alphabeat and we play pop music" is the biggest understatement of the year.

My favorite Danish pop band, possibly my favorite pop band, is Alphabeat. I have never seen a group of people make such undeniably catchy pop songs. The first song I heard of theirs was "Fascination" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8UxX5STKL4) and then after "10,000 Nights of Thunder" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySHHdO-YTK4) I was sold. I bought this on Amazon I wanted it so bad. Other favorites include "Into the Jungle," "Boyfriend," and "Fantastic 6." This would probably be higher on my list if I didn't consider it such a guilty pleasure.

9. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

This barely made it into the 2008 list, since it was released in January of 2008. Remember Vampire Weekend?

I believe "Oxford Comma" was the first song of theirs that I heard, and I also like "A-Punk," "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa," "Walcott," and several others. Oh, and I bought this CD too. Yes, I sometimes still buy CDs.

10. Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

I can't not put this on here. Yes, I was on the mailing list that got "Violet Hill" for free on their website. Yes, I listened to "Viva la Vida" before I knew it was on iPod commercials. And yes, I bought the CD the day it came out at Borders. So shoot me.

I still think "Strawberry Swing" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDa0JqW9bc) is my favorite, although I incredibly enjoyed pretty much the entire album.

Here is another less detailed list of very close contenders:
Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell
The Submarines - Honeysuckle Weeks
Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin - Pershing
Beck - Modern Guilt
TV on the Radio - Dear Science
Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
This is Ivy League - This is Ivy League
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

No comments: